Saturday 8 September 2012

Research Brief

Since everyone else seems to have started out with their research brief I think I will as well; It's what all the cool kids are doing.

My subject is the Byzantine Empire and its libraries.
In order to cover this topic I feel I need to provide a context for the information I produce; To this end I intend to cover as my main areas: The transformation of the eastern half of the Roman Empire into what we refer to as the Byzantine Empire, The state and system of libraries in the old Roman Empire, the changes to this system that occurred as part of the Byzantine Empire and how those techniques and systems developed, what materials they collected and what impact this had on how contemporary libraries developed and operate. Another issue I intend to cover is literacy in the Byzantine Empire; With public schools in the old Roman Empire and a strong degree of literacy comparative to later groups I intend to examine how the development of the Byzantine Empire impacted on literacy, whether it helped or hindered. If I get a reasonable amount of information I also intend to examine the politics of literacy in the Empire.

In terms of my intended search strategy I plan to use a range of online databases and encyclopaedias, books on the history of the Byzantines and similar items. Due to the variable reliability that exists in regards to online materials I intend to only use authorised materials such as the databases available through the Swinburne library and other sources whom are known for reliability and accuracy. No Wikipedia as a source, although if any interesting and relevant articles can provide citations I might examine the cited articles for more information.

Ok original brief aside I also intend to chuck in a new random Byzantine fact each week.

Byzantine Fact: The Empress Irene originally served as Regent for her son. Rather then give up power when he came of age she had his eyes put out and then saw to executing anyone else in the family with a claim. Fun lady; Must have been great at parties.

1 comment: